Feb 24, 2024  
2012-2013 College Catalog 
2012-2013 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Information



(Tuition and fees are subject to change.)

 Tuition and fees for Residents of the State of Alabama
Resident or in-state tuition is $138.00 per credit hour.

Tuition and fees for Non-Residents of the State of Alabama
Non-resident or out-of-state tuition is $247.00 per credit hour.

Tuition and Fee Schedule

(Tuition and Fees are subject to change)

Credit Hours Resident Tuition Nonresident Tuition Bond Surety Fee Maintenance Fee Technology Fee

Special Building Fee



Nonresident Total

1 $ 109 $218 $ 1 $ 9 $9 $10 $138 $247
2 $218 $436 $ 2 $18 $18 $20 $276 $494
3 $327 $654 $ 3 $27 $27 $30 $414 $741
4 $436 $872 $ 4 $36 $36 $40 $552 $988
5 $545 $1,090 $ 5 $45 $45 $50 $690 $1,235
6 $654 $1,308 $ 6 $54 $54 $60 $838 $1,482
7 $763 $1,526 $ 7 $63 $63 $70 $966 $1,729
8 $872 $1,744 $ 8 $72 $72 $80 $1,104 $1,976
9 $981 $1,962 $ 9 $81 $81 $90 $1,242 $2,223
10 $1,090 $2,180 $ 10 $90 $90 $100 $1,380 $2,470
11 $1,199 $2,398 $ 11 $99 $99 $110 $1,518 $2,717
12 $1,308 $2,616 $ 12 $108 $108 $120 $1,656 $2,964
13 $1,417 $2,834 $ 13 $117 $117 $130 $1,794 $3,211
14 $1,526 $3,052 $ 14 $126 $126 $140 $1,932 $3,458
15 $1,635 $3,270 $ 15 $135 $135 $150 $2,070 $3,705

There will be an additional fee for student accident insurance and parking hang tag for all students.

ALL STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO PAY TUITION AND FEES ON OR PRIOR TO THE PAYMENT DUE DATES LISTED IN THE SCHEDULE OF CLASSES. If the tuition and fees are not received by the appropriate due date published, the student’s schedule may be removed. If a student’s schedule is removed for non-payment, the student must re-register for classes.

Shelton State Community College does not accept partial payment. This includes students receiving any type of financial assistance. Balances must be paid before the grant/waiver/ scholarship can be applied to the student account (example: a student receiving a tuition waiver would be required to pay the technology and maintenance, parking, and insurance fees before the waiver is applied). Sponsored students include those students whose expenses are paid by agencies such as Vocational Rehabilitation Services, Alabama G.I. and Dependents Educational Benefits Act, Post 9/11 G.I. Bill (excluding veterans who receive benefits only from Federal Veterans Administration), and eligible Pell Grant recipients. Students who intend to pay their tuition using Prepaid Affordable College Tuition Program (PACT) or any third party entity are responsible for paying the fees that are not covered. Students paying by VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express are responsible for verifying that payment has been received by the Cashier’s Office. Online credit card payments are accepted. FEES MUST BE PAID IN FULL BEFORE REGISTRATION IS CONSIDERED COMPLETE.

Residency Policy

For the purpose of assessing tuition, applicants for admission will be classified in one of two categories as outlined below:

  1. Resident Student
    A Resident Student will be charged the in-state tuition rate established by the Alabama State Board of Education.
    1. A Resident Student is an applicant for admission who meets all legal requirements or is a duly registered resident in the State of Alabama for at least 12 months immediately preceding application for admission, or whose non-estranged spouse has resided and had habitation, home, and permanent abode in the State of Alabama for at least 12 months immediately preceding application for admission. Consequently, an out-of-state student cannot attain Resident Student status simply by attending school for twelve months in the State of Alabama.
    2. In the case of minor dependents seeking admission, the parents, parent, or legal guardian of such minor dependent must have resided in the State of Alabama for at least 12 months preceding application for admission. If the parents are divorced, residence will be determined by the residency of the parent to whom the court has granted custody.

      Minor: An individual who, because of age, lacks the capacity to contract under Alabama law. Under current law, this means a single individual under 19 years of age and a married individual under 18 years of age, but excludes an individual whose disabilities of non-age have been removed by a court of competent jurisdiction for a reason other than establishing a legal residence in Alabama. If current law changes, this definition shall change accordingly. Supporting Person: Either or both of the parents of the student, parents who are living together, or if the parents are divorced or living separately, then either the parent having legal custody or, if different, the parent providing the greater amount of financial support. If both parents are deceased or if neither has legal custody, Supporting Person will mean, in the following order: the legal custodian of the student, the guardian, and the conservator.
    3. In determining Resident Student status for the purpose of charging tuition, the burden of proof lies with the applicant for admission.
      1. Students having graduated from an Alabama high school or having obtained a GED in the State of Alabama within three years of the date of application for admission shall be considered Residential Students for tuition purposes.
      2. An individual claiming to be a resident will certify by a signed statement each of the following:
        1. a specific address or location within the State of Alabama as his or her residence.
        2. an intention to remain at this address indefinitely.
        3. possession of more substantial connections with the State of Alabama than with any other state.
      3. Though certifications of an address and an intent to remain in the state indefinitely will be prerequisites to establishing status as a resident, ultimate determination of that status will be made by the institution by evaluating the presence or absence of connection with the State of Alabama. This evaluation will include the consideration of the following connections:
        1. consideration of the location of high school graduation.
        2. payment of Alabama state income taxes as a resident.
        3. ownership of a residence or other real property in the state and payment of state ad valorem taxes on the residence or property.
        4. full-time employment in the state.
        5. residence in the state of a spouse, parents, or children.
        6. previous periods of residency in the state continuing for one year or more.
        7. voter registration and voting in the state; more significantly, continuing voter registration in the state that initially occurred at least one year prior to the initial registration of the student in Alabama at a public institution of higher education.
        8. possession of state or local licenses to do business or practice a profession in the state.
        9. ownership of personal property in the state, payment of state taxes on the property, and possession of state license plates.
        10. continuous physical presence in the state for a purpose other than attending school, except for temporary absences for travel, military service, and temporary employment.
        11. membership in religious, professional, business, civic, or social organizations in the state.
        12. maintenance in the state of checking and savings accounts, safe deposit boxes, or investment accounts.
        13. in-state address shown on selective service registration, drivers’ license, automobile title registration, hunting and fishing licenses, insurance policies, stock and bond registrations, last will and testament, annuities, or retirement plans.
    4. Students determined to be eligible for resident tuition will maintain that eligibility upon re-enrollment within one full academic year of their most recent previous enrollment unless there is evidence that the student subsequently has abandoned resident status; for example, registering to vote in another state. Students failing to re-enroll within one full academic year must establish eligibility upon re-enrollment.
  2. Non-Resident Student (additional persons for resident tuition)
    A Non-Resident Student, one who does not meet the standard of having resided in the State of Alabama for at least 12 months immediately preceding application for admission, will be charged the in-state tuition rate established by the State Board of Education under the following circumstances, provided such student is a citizen of the United States.
    1. The dependent student is one:
      1. whose supporting person is a full-time permanent employee of the institution at which the student is registering; or
      2. whose supporting person can verify full-time permanent employment in Alabama and will commence said employment within 90 days of registration; or
      3. whose supporting person is a member of the United States military on full-time active duty stationed in Alabama under order for duties other than attending school; or
      4. whose supporting person is an accredited member of a consular staff assigned
        to duties in Alabama.
    2. The student is not a dependent (as defined by Internal Revenue Codes) who:
      1. is a full-time permanent employee of the institution at which the student is registering or is the spouse of such an employee; or
      2. can verify full-time permanent employment within the State of Alabama or is the spouse of such an employee and will commence said employment within 90 days of registration with the institution; or
      3. is a member of or the spouse of a member of the United State military on full-time active duty stationed in Alabama under orders for duties other than attending school; or
      4. is an accredited member of, or the spouse of, an accredited member of a consular staff assigned to duties in Alabama.
    3. In determining Non-Resident Student status for the purpose of charging tuition, the burden of proof lies with the applicant for admission. The College may request proof that the applicant meets the stipulations noted above prior to admission.
    4. The student is eligible for in-state tuition if the student resides in Lowndes and Noxubee counties in Mississippi.

Out-of-State Student
Any applicant for admission who does not fall into Section B (Non-Resident Student) above shall be charged a minimum tuition of two times the resident tuition rate charged by that institution. Students initially classified as ineligible for resident tuition will retain that classification for tuition purposes until they provide documentation that they have qualified for resident tuition.

Other Fees

  1. A late registration fee of $25.00 is charged if registration is not completed on or before the designated date of registration.
  2. A vehicle registration fee of $10.00 is required each year.
  3. All students are required to purchase a student accident insurance policy each semester. The charge is $7.50 for fall and spring semesters and $5.00 for the summer semester. These rates are subject to change.
  4. Cash, checks, money orders, cashier’s check, Discover, Visa, and MasterCard will be accepted as payment of all fees and charges, subject to final payment. If a student’s check is returned unpaid, payment must be cleared promptly by another form of payment other than personal check. A restriction will be placed on the student account until returned item and fees are paid in full. The returned check service fee charge will be based on the current rate set by the District Attorney’s Office.
  5. An administrative fee not to exceed five percent (5%) of tuition and other institutional charges, or $100, whichever is smaller, will be assessed for each withdrawal within the period beginning the first day of class and ending at the end of the third week of class.
  6. Some courses may require additional fees.

NOTE: There is no difference in the cost of auditing a course and taking that course for credit.

Tuition/Fee Refund Policy

  1. Withdrawals
    The Shelton State tuition refund policy is based on the College calendar. The calculation of the refund begins with the first day of class as listed on the College calendar for that particular term. In order to receive 100% refund for complete withdrawal from school, students must withdraw BEFORE THE FIRST SCHEDULED DAY LISTED ON THE COLLEGE CALENDAR FOR THAT TERM. The first day of class is the first official instructional day of all classes as stated in the institution’s published calendar. There is only one first day. All terms within the semester, full term, first split term, and second split term, are treated independently for refund purposes. Once the drop/add period has ended for the respective term, partial  refunds will only be granted for a complete withdrawal for the respective term.
    1. Full Term Enrollment
      A student who withdraws from the College may claim a partial refund under certain conditions:
      1. students who completely withdraw before the beginning of the term receive a 100% refund
      2. students who completely withdraw within the first five instructional days receive a 75% refund.
      3. students who completely withdraw during the sixth through tenth instructional days receive a 50% refund.
      4. students who completely withdraw during the eleventh through fifteenth instructional days receive a 25% refund.
      5. students who completely withdraw after the 15th instructional day will receive NO REFUND.
    2. Split Term Enrollment
      A student who withdraws from the College may claim a partial refund under certain conditions:
      1. students who completely withdraw before the beginning of the term receive a 100% refund.
      2. students who completely withdraw within the first three instructional days receive a 75% refund.
      3. students who completely withdraw during the fourth through sixth instructional days receive a 50 percent refund.
      4. students who completely withdraw during the seventh through ninth instructional days receive a 25 percent refund.
      5. students who completely withdraw after the tenth instructional day will receive NO REFUND.

Only the following tuition/fees can be refunded: Tuition, Maintenance Fees, Technology Fees, Bond Security Fees, and Special Building Fees. Other miscellaneous fees will not be refunded. A list of refund dates and refund percentages is printed each semester in The Schedule of Classes.

  1. Drop/Add

The Drop/Add Period is a three-to five-day period after the official designated registration days for full term classes during the fall and spring semesters.The Drop/ Add Period is two days for the summer semester and for split term classes.Students who drop a course(or courses) and have other courses remaining for that term on their schedules may receive 100 percent refund if the course is dropped during the designated Drop/Add for that specific term.AFTER THE DROP/ADD PERIOD, NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN TO TUDENTS WHO DROP A COURSE (OR COURSES) AND HAVE OTHER COURSES REMAINING FOR THE SAME SEMESTER ON THEIR SCHEDULES;THUS, REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED FOR COMPLETE WITHDRAWAL ONLY.

    C.    Short Course Refunds (Continuing Education, Community Education)

    D.    SHELTON STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE DOES NOT GIVE CASH REFUNDS. Refund Checks are mailed from the Office of Business Services.  All credit or debit card payments wil be refunded to the original card that was charged.  Please contact the cashier’s office to process your credit or debit card refund.

 Financial Aid

In order for Shelton State Community College to properly process each financial aid application, deadlines are required for each term.  Students that do not meet the deadline will have a delay in the financial aid process.  Please contact the financial aid office or visit the Shelton State website, www.sheltonstate.edu, for specific information and required deadlines. Shelton State Community College offers financial assistance to eligible students to help pay their educational costs. Financial aid is designed to supplement the family’s ability to finance the student’s educational expenses. Shelton State is approved for Federal Financial Aid, Veterans Benefits, Vocational Rehabilitation Training, and Alabama Prepaid Affordable College Tuition (PACT). The institution also awards state and private scholarships.

Title IV Federal Financial Aid Programs which are available include Federal Pell Grant, Federal Work-Study (FWS), and the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG).  Shelton State is also approved to participate in the Alabama Student Assistant Program (ASAP). Shelton State Community College does not participate in any of the federal student loan programs. Shelton State is approved for deferment of previous loans.

Applying For Financial Aid

Students who apply for financial aid must:

  1. Apply for admission and have on file a copy of the high school transcript, GED scores or academic transcripts from other colleges previously attended. Transient students are not eligible to receive financial aid.
  2. Be a U.S. Citizen or an eligible non-citizen. All eligible non-citizens must provide documentation to verify their eligibility status.
  3. Be a regular student working towards a degree or certificate in an eligible program at SSCC. A regular student is someone who is enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible institution for the purpose of obtaining a degree or certificate offered by the College.
  4. Must meet the standards of academic progress (qualitative and quantitative).
  5. Male students, 18-25 years of age, must be registered with the Selective Service. Register through the internet at www.sss.gov.

Qualifying For Federal Financial Aid

Students who apply for Federal Financial Assistance:

  1. Must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov.  This should be done as soon as students or parents of dependent students complete their federal income tax return each year.
  2. A student may be required to submit signed copies of certain financial documents for the student and/or spouse and parent(s). Contact the Financial Aid Office to find out which documents are required. Approximately one-third of all financial aid applications are selected by the federal government in a process called verification.
  3. Must have financial need. Financial need is determined by subtracting the expected family contribution from the cost of education.
  4. Must have a high school diploma or a GED.
  5. Must be enrolled as a student in an eligible program and making satisfactory academic progress.
    *Technical Classes/Certificates may require clock hour conversions to receive Title IV funds. Financial Aid will be paid on the lowest hours. Some programs may not be approved for financial aid.  Check the website for the most current information or contact the Financial Aid Office at 205.391.2218. 
  6. Must not be in default on any previous student loan.
  7. Before financial aid is awarded, all official transcripts must be on file.
    * If a student is enrolled in a technical/certificate program that does not offer a degree, credit hours will be adjusted based on a federally mandated credit/clock hour conversion formula.

Once the financial aid award has been established, the student may reigister for classes. Once notification is recieved, the student must request the charges up to the total amount of the financial award (excluding work-study awards) be applied to his/her acccount.  Such charges include tuition, fees, books, and supplies purchased in the College’s bookstore.  This process must be completed online within the student’s Shelton State account.

 Any remaining balance from the financial aid award for the current semester will be issued by check to the address on file in the Office of Admissions and Records. Students who completely withdraw from school prior to the disbursement of funds will have their financial aid adjusted based on their withdrawal date. Any funds remaining will be returned to the financial aid program.


1.  Program Completion

The maximum time frame allowed to complete a program of study without financial aid penalty cannot exceed 1.5 times the published length of a specific programFor example,a student in General Studies, which is 64 semester hours in length, may attempt a maximum of 96 hoursThe life time limit for Pell Grant funding is 12 full-time semesters.  

2.  Required Credit Hours

All students receiving grant funding must maintain the following completion rate requirements based on number of hours attemped.

  • If the student has attempted 12-21 hours, they must maintain a 58% completion rate.
  • If the student has attempted 22-32 hours, they must maintain a 62% completion rate.
  • If the student has attempted 33 or more hours, they must maintain a 67% completion rate.

3.   Required Grade Point Average (GPA) 

All students receiving grant funding must also maintain the following GPA requirements based on the number of hours attempted.

GPA requirements for degree seeking students:

  • If the student has attempted 12-21 hours, they must maintain a 1.5 GPA.
  • If the student has attempted 22-32 hours, they must maintain a 1.75 GPA.
  • If the student has attempted 33 or more hours, they must maintain a 2.0 GPA.

GPA requirements for short-term certificate students:

  • If the student has attempted 12 hours, they must maintain a 1.5 GPA.
  • If the student has attempted 24 hours, they must maintain a 2.0 GPA.

4.   Financial Aid Warning

If a student fails to achieve the required cumulative GPA or does not successfully complete the required percentage of hours, the student will be placed on financial aid warning. Students on warning will be allowed to receive aid and will be notified of their warning status on their student account. The warning will be lifted in the subsequent term if the student attains the required cumulative GPA and/or successfully completes the required percentage of hours at the next term. If the student successfully completes their first warning semester, they will be allowed to continue until they fall below the overall standards.

5.   Financial Aid Suspension

If the student does not meet the minimum standards of progress after their warning semester, the financial aid award will be suspended.  The student cannot use federal funding to pay for their courses until they regain eligibility by reaching the minimum standards of progress.  If placed on academic suspension, a student is NOT eligible to receive financial aid for the duration of suspension, even if the student is readmitted to the College upon academic appeal. The student may gain eligibility for financial aid when satisfactory academic progress is obtained.

6.   Appeal Process

The student may file an appeal by completing the Financial Aid Appeal process that is outlined on the Shelton State financial aid website.  The student must make an appointment to meet with a member of the financial aid staff to complete the Plan of Resolution and discuss the circumstances of their current financial aid situation. These forms are online at www.sheltonstate.edu. Only ONE APPEAL per student will be allowed. Decisions of the Appeal Committee are final.

7.  Monitoring Progress

Academic progress will be monitored at the end of each semester, even at the end of a semester during which financial aid has not been received.

8.   Repeating Courses

A student receiving Pell Grant funds may repeat courses; however, all hours will be included in the satisfactory academic progress calculations.

9. Developmental Courses

A student may receive financial aid for up to 30 attempted remedial credit hours. If this number is exceeded, financial aid cannot cover any additional remedial classes. If the student enrolls in the same remedial course more than three times, the student will be required to pay for the course.

10. Audit and Continuing Education Courses

Audited and continuing education courses are not considered credits attempted or earned, and students cannot receive financial aid for these courses.

11. Clearing GPA or Completion Rate Deficiencies/Reinstatement

A student may have financial aid reinstated if he/she attends college, at his/her own expense and is able to reach the minimum standards of satisfactory academic progress. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of Financial Aid when his/her grades are in compliance with the policy. Financial aid will not retroactively pay for any periods of enrollment during which the student was not eligible.

 Cumulative Credit Hours Completed

Cumulative Credit hours completed are defined as grades A, B, C, or D except for developmental courses. Credit hours not successfully completed are defined as F, W, I, or U.

NOTE: Refer to Academic Information, Grading System.

 Cumulative Credit Hours Attempted

Cumulative credit hours attempted are defined as all credit hours attempted at SSCC and all credit hours transferred and accepted from another institution. Repeated courses passed, failed, or withdrawn will be counted as credit hours attempted.

12. Program of Study

Students who receive financial assistance must be accepted for enrollment as regular student in a program of study leading to a degree or a certificate. A regular student is someone who is enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible institution for the purpose of obtaining a degree or certificate offered by the College.  Some programs of study may not be Pell approved.  Please refer to the Shelton State website for the most current information.

13. Official and Unofficial Withdrawals and Interruptions

 A student who withdraws during a payment period or period of enrollment before disbursement is made; may have the award adjusted based on assistance earned up to the point of withdrawal. Once the student has completed more than 60 percent of the payment period or period of enrollment, the student will earn all of the assistance. If the student receives more assistance than earned, the excess funds must be returned.

Official Withdrawal

A student’s official withdrawal date is defined as the date the student officially withdraws from all classes for that semester.

Unofficial Withdrawal

A student is considered to have unofficially withdrawn for financial aid purposes only when:

1.  the student does not complete the official withdrawal process; and

2.  the student earns failing grades (F or U) in all courses for which he/she is registered.

If the last day of attendance is not defined on any records, the student’s unofficial withdrawal date will be defined as the midpoint (50%) of the semester and the student will, in accordance with the Return to Title IV calculation, owe monies back to the Title IV funds. The time frame for midpoint will differ for students enrolled in split term sessions ONLY.

Financial Aid Official and Unofficial Withdrawal Policy

A student who receives federal financial aid (Title IV funds) may have his/her financial aid adjusted based on his/her date of official or unofficial complete withdrawal. Title IV aid consists of Pell Grants and Federal Supplemental Educational Grants.  A complete withdrawal is defined as withdrawing or discontinuing attendance from all classes for a given semester.

Consequences for Complete Withdrawal and Financial Aid Repayment

A student who officially or unofficially completely withdraws earns financial aid based on the number of calendar days he/she attended. Earned financial aid is calculated from the beginning of the semester to the official or unofficial withdrawal date. If the applicant has attended 60% of the semester, the applicant is considered to have earned the aid received.

14. Developmental and Repeated Courses

A Title IV Federal Aid recipient who is enrolled in a developmental course may not enroll in the same course more than three times and continue to receive financial assistance for the course. A Title IV Federal Financial Aid recipient may not be paid for more than 30 credit hours of developmental course work.  Students may repeat successfully passed classes one additional time.  Courses that were not successfully completed may be repeated as long as the student meets the overall mimimum standards of progress discussed earlier in this section.  A grade of A or B is required for successful completion in developmental courses.

15. Right of Appeal

Decisions regarding student eligibility for financial aid are subject to one appeal to the Student Finance Appeal Team (SFAT). Appeals may be made regarding the students  compliance with the Standards of Academic Progress.

A student who wishes to appeal a decision regarding eligibility must complete the financial aid appeal process as outlined on the Shelton State website and provide written documentation of mitigating or extenuating circumstances.

The Student Finance Appeals Team will meet once a month to decide the appeal and to notify the applicant in writing of the results of the appeal. The decision of the SFAT is final. ONLY ONE APPEAL IS ALLOWED.

16. Disbursement of Financial Aid Funds

It is College policy that students are expected to attend all classes for which they are registered and attendance is calculated from the first official class day. Students who receive financial aid and are reported as “non-attending” will not be readmitted to the course if they did not attend during the attendance verification period.  If the student has mitigating circumstances regarding the missed classes they should contact the financial aid office. Attendance issues may cause a student’s award to be adjusted. Disbursement checks are mailed approximately 14 days after the last day of the Late Registration Period. Books and supplies can be charged against Pell Grant after payment has been credited to the student’s account for tuition and fees. Registration is not complete until tuition and fees have been paid.

Title IV Pell Grant funds will be awarded based on the student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number and hours attending.        

Credit hour breakdown

  12 or more credit hours Full-time  
  9 to 11 Three-forths time  
  6 to 8 Half-time  
  5 and under Less than half-time  

 **Students in converted clock hour and clock hour certificates must see the website for the correct payment information based on their program.

17. How changing Program of Study affects financial aid eligibility?

Changing your Program of Study may cause you to take additional courses that could cause problems finishing your degree or certificate within the 150% of the standard length of your academic or certificate Program. Also, when students change their program of study from degree seeking to certificate seeking, the previous classes the student attempted will be counted in the determination of your financial aid eligibility. For example, a certificate Program that requires 27 creditsfor completion must be completed within 41 attempted credit hours.

18. What can affect financial aid eligibility?

Students who are not achieving satisfactory academic progress (SAP) as measured by the office of financial aid usually have experienced one or a combination of the following:

•     receiving failing grades,

•     repeating courses,

•     officially or unofficially withdrawing from courses or from the college,

•     taking courses not applicable to the declared Program of Study, (please note the office of financial aid will not include courses not required for a student’s declared program of study to determine the student’s  enrollment status as full, three quarter, or half time).

19. Return to Title IV Funds (R2T4)

The federal government has established a Return to Title IV Funds (R2T4) Policy

CFR Section 668.22. Federal Grant recipients who completely withdraw from the institution prior to completing 60 percent of the enrollment period are subject to the R2T4 policy and may owe a repayment. The R2T4 calculation will be performed in accordance with federal regulations. For a student who unofficially withdraws and the last date of attendance cannot be determined, the R2T4 calculation will be based on the mid-point of the semester and the recipient may owe a repayment to the Title IV programs. The Title IV programs consist of Federal Pell Grant and Federal Supplemental Educational Grant (FSEOG).

Procedure for Repaying the U.S. Government

According to regulations, the Office of Business Services performs the Return to Title IV calculations. When it is determined that the student owes a repayment of grants to the U.S. Government, the student will be sent a letter of notification of this debt and will be ineligible to receive any future Title IV aid until this matter is resolved. If the student owes a balance to the College, the student must pay the balance prior to registering for future semesters or requesting a transcript be sent to another college.  The student must contact the Cashier’s Office on any repayment obligation. If the student does not contact the Cashier’s Office with payment, the College will send the student’s information to the U. S. Government for collection and the student will remain ineligible for federal and state aid until the College receives notice that the student has re-established his/her eligibility. The student must present to the College a Title IV letter of eligibility from the Department of Education.

It is the intent of the Office of Financial Aid to inform Federal Grant recipients who completely withdraw from all courses in a given semester to seriously consider the implications of this R2T4 policy. Students who are having difficulty in their classes should seek assistance through their instructors, the Counseling Center, and the Learning Center.

20. Definitions

Federal Grant Recipient

A student who receives one or more of the following: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Work/Study funds.

Complete Withdrawal

The withdrawal date is the date the student submits a completed Schedule Change form to withdraw from all classes to the Office of Admissions and Records or the appropriate instructional site. In cases in which a student unofficially withdraws (stops attending without completing the withdrawal process), the withdrawal date is the mid-point (50 percent) of the term if a withdrawal date cannot be determined.

Sixty Percent of Enrollment Period

The sixty-percent enrollment period is published each semester in the printed semester schedule of classes. Students who withdraw from school before these dates will owe a repayment and will have accumulated attempted course hours. The sixty percent date is the date in which 60 percent of the class meetings have been held.


A repayment is what a student must return to the U.S. Department of Education. The amount of repayment will be based upon a formula, prescribed by law, that considers the date of withdrawal and the amount of federal aid (excluding work-study) received. Any student who fails to repay the U.S. Department of Education will not be eligible to receive federal aid at Shelton State Community College or any other institution.   

21. Student Rights

Students have the right to ask Shelton State Community College:

•     the name of its accrediting and licensing organizations;

•      about its programs, its institutional laboratories and other physical facilities, and its faculty;

•     about the cost of attending and its policy on refunds to students who withdraw;

•     what financial assistance is available, including information on all federal, state, local, private, and

       institutional financial aid programs;

•     what are the procedures and deadlines for submitting applications for each financial aid program;

•     what criteria are used to select financial aid recipients;

•     how financial need is determined;

•     how and when students on financial aid will receive a disbursement;

•     how the school determines whether a student is making satisfactory progress and what happens if the student is not; and

•     what special facilities and services are available to persons with disabilities.

It is the student’s responsibility to:

•     review all information about the College’s programs before enrolling;

•     pay special attention to the Application for Student Financial Aid, complete it accurately, and submit

       it on time to the proper office;

•     know and comply with all deadlines for applying and reapplying for financial aid;

•     provide all additional documentation, verification, corrections, and/or new information requested by

       the Office of Financial Aid or the agency to which application was made;

•     read, understand, and keep copies of all forms the student is asked to sign;

•     repay any student loan obligations and/or request deferment  information from the lending agency;

      notify the Office of Admissions and Records of any change in the student’s name, address, course

       major, or attendance status;

•     understand the refund policy;

•     appeal any decision made concerning financial aid status;

•     call the Office of Financial Aid and request that the SAR be pulled down electronically or bring in

       his/her copy; notify the Office of Financial Aid of a change of program and request a transfer evaluation.

       (If no credits can be transferred into the new program, the student will be advised accordingly.)


To receive the amount of Federal Pell Grant as indicated on the financial aid award screen, a student must be enrolled for a full-time course load which is a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester. A student who enrolls for less than 12 credit hours will have his/her Pell Grant award adjusted according to registration status.  If a student receives Title IV funds and is registered for technical classes that require clock hour conversion, the Title IV Pell awards will be based on financial aid hours rather than academic hours. Students who have questions regarding the enrollment status or adjusted credit hours should call the Office of Financial Aid, 205.391.2218.


A.  Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is designed to assist eligible applicants with educational expenses. The Federal Pell Grant does not have to be repaid unless the Return to Title IV applies. The Pell Grant provides a foundation of financial aid to which other federal and non-federal sources of aid may be added. The amount of a Federal Pell Grant is dependent upon a family’s financial circumstances. Students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for a Federal Pell Grant. A Federal Pell Grant is awarded for an academic year (two semesters). The financial aid year begins with the fall semester and ends with the summer semester.  Beginning in fall 2012, the FAFSA will review all semesters of Pell payments per student.  Students will only be allowed to receive 12 full-time, life-time semesters of Pell Grant funding.  For example, if the student attended college and received Pell funding for two full-time semesters in 2010, that student would have 10 lifetime semesters remaining.  Only the percentage of time that a student is enrolled will count toward this limit. Once classes begin, students must attend class starting the first day or Pell Grant funds will be adjusted for non-attendance. For more information about Federal Pell Grants, contact the Office of Financial Aid, 205.391.2218.

 B.  Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is designed to assist students with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to Federal Pell Grant recipients who apply early and have a “0” expected family contribution number.  Students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid  (FAFSA) to apply for Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). For more information about Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, contact the Office of Financial Aid, 205.391.2218. 

C.  Alabama Student Assistance Program (ASAP)

The Alabama Student Assistance Program is designed to assist exceptionally needy students. It consists of Federal State Student Incentive Grant funds and funds appropriated by the Alabama Legislature. ASAP funds are gift aid which does not have to be repaid. Students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply. Priority is given to those who receive a Federal Pell Grant and who apply early. For more information concerning the Alabama Student Assistance Program contact the Office of Financial Aid, 205.391.2218.

D.   Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study is part-time employment on and off campus. It allows students to earn a portion of the money which is needed to finance their education. This program exists to assist in paying the difference between the cost of education and the amount that the student and the parents can afford to pay. Federal Work-Study provides a meaningful job experience while allowing the student the opportunity to earn a portion of his or her educational cost. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and a Shelton State Community College Application for Federal Work-Study. For additional information, contact the Office of Financial Aid, 205.391.2218.


Alabama National Guard Education Assistance Program

ANGEAP is a program established by the legislature of the State of Alabama and is designed to provide financial assistance to active Alabama National Guard members who are enrolled in degree programs at accredited post-secondary institutions of higher learning located within the State of Alabama.  Limited funding is provided by the Alabama Legislature and priority is given to those who apply early.  For more information about the ANGEAP, members should contact the unit administrator at their prospective unit.

Tuition Assistances (TA)

Tuition assistance (TA) is a Department of Defense (DOD) program.  GoArmyEd is the virtual gateway for all eligible Active Duty, National Guard, and Army Reserve soldiers to request tuition assistance (TA) online, anytime, anywhere, for classroom and distance learning.  It allows soldiers to manage their education records, including college classes, testing, on-duty classes, and Army education counselor support.  Soldiers may request TA through www.GoArmyEd.com prior to the course start date.  GoArmyEd will notify the soldier whether the TA is approved of not.  If the TA request is not approved, GoArmyEd will advise the soldier of the reason and next steps.  All drops/withdrawals must be handled through GoArmyEd.  Soldiers who do not successfully complete a class due to military reasons must request a Withdrawal for Military Reasons through GoArmyEd and complete all required steps to ensure that they will not be charged.  Students have 14 days from the start of the semester to input information into the GoArmyEd system for TA approval.

Alabama GI Dependents Scholoarship Program

This nationally renowned program was created by Act 633 and approved October 1947 by the Alabama Legislature.  It is administered by the Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs and is governed by the Code of Alabama 1975, Section 31-6-1.  The veteran must meet the following qualifications to establish eligibility of his/her dependents.  A dependent is defined as a child, stepchild, spouse, or the un-married widow(er) of the veteran.

  • The veteran must have honorably served at least 90 or more days of continuous active federal military service or be honorably discharged by reason of service-connected disability after serving less than 90 days of continuous active federal mility service during wartime.
  • The veteran must be rated 20% or more disabled due to service-connected disabilities or have held the qualifying rating at the time of death, a former Prisoner of War (POW), declared Missing in Action (MIA), died as a result of a service-connected disability, or died while on active military service in the line of duty.
  • The veteran must be a permanent civilian resident of the State of Alabama for at least one year immediately prior to (a) the initial entry into active military service, or (b) any subsequent period of military service in which a break (one year or more) in service occurred and the Alabama civilian residency was established.  Permanently service-connected veterans rated at 100% who did not enter service from alabama, may qualify after establishing at least five years of permanent residency in alabama prior to an application on file or immediately prior to death, if deceased.

For more information about this program, please contact your local Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs representative located at the county courthouse where you reside.

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation (Disabled Veterans)

A veteran may be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) benefits if he or she:

  • received, or will receive, a discharge other than dishonorable conditions;
  • Incurred or aggravated a service-connected disability which entitles him or her to VA disability compensation; and
  • Is in need of vocational rehabilitation because his or her disability creates an employment handicap.

Vocational rehabilitation may be provided for up to 48 months.  An eligible veteran generally has 15 years from the date he or she is notified of entitlement to VA compensation to use their Chapre 31 benefits.  VA may approve an extension of time and/or length of training in certain cases.

Entitlement for vocational rehabilitation on services is determined on an individual basis following an evaluation of the veteran’s interests, aptitudes, education, work experience, and vocational abilities.  Each school is assigned a Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist to assist Chapter 31 students and school officials responsible for certifying Chapter 31 students.  Full tuition, fees, and books are paid to the school by the VA.  In addition, the student gets a subsistence allowance depending on the training status.

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) and Active Duty

The Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty), also known as Chapter 30, is a program of education benefits generally for individuals who enter active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985 and have contributed to the College fund.  Active Duty for benefits purposes includes full-time National Guard duty after November 29, 1989.  The participant generally must serve continuously on active duty for three-year or greater initial enlistment, or, for a lesser benefit, two years of an initial active duty obligation of less than three years.  An individual also may qualify for the full benefits by initally serving two continuous years on active duty, followed by four years of Selected Reserve service.  In the latter case, the participant must enter the Selected Reserve within one year of the release from active duty.   The participant must meet the requirements for a high school diploma or an equivalency certificate before the first period of active duty ends.  Completing 12 credit hours toward a college degree meets this requirement.  Individuals, who initially serve a continuous period of at least three years of active duty, even though they were initially obligated to serve less, will be paid at the higher basic rate.  Shelton State Community college does not participate in advance pay.

Chapter 33 Post 9/11

The Post 9/11 GI Bill is a new education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001.  The benefits are payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009.  No payments can be made under this program for training pursued before that date.  You may receive up to 36 months of entitlement under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.  Once you elect to receive benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you will no longer be eligible to receive benefits under the program from which you elected before the Post 9/11 GI Bill.  A monthly housing allowance (MHA) based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school (for BAH rates, please visit www.gibill.va.gov) is associated with this benefit.  For those enrolled soley in distance learning, the housing allowance payable is equal to 1/2 the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents for the 2011 academic year (Active duty students and their spouses cannot receive the MHA).  An annual books stipend of $1,000 is paid proportionately based on enrollment.

Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR)

This program provides benefits for members of the Selected Reserve and National Guard who enlisted, re-enlisted, or extended their enlistment for a period of six years after July1, 1985.  To find out more about eligibility requirements, please contact Veterans Affairs Regional Office (VARO) at 1-888-442-4551.

Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

REAP was established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005.  It is a Department of Defense educational benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contigency operation) as declared by the President or congress.  This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program

Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans.  This program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.  These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeships, and on-the-job training.  If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course.  Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.


The Military Spouses Center Advancement Account (MYCAA) programs sets out to prepare eligible military spouses for the work force by offering up to $4,000 of financial assistance (FA) from the Department of Defense (DOD).  This is meant to encourage spouses of military personnel to pursue education, training, licenses, certificates, and degrees leading to employment in Portable Career fields.  The MYCAA program uses this funding to pay schools directly for coursework and exams taken by the approved spouse account owner. 

Class Attendance of Veterans

Any student receiving VA educational benefits is required to attend all classes in which they are enrolled.  Students who are receiving VA educational benefits and enroll in NCD (Certificate) Programs are required to attend 85% of all courses in that program. Once a student has missed more than 15% of a course(s) in that program, it is required that an adjustment be made to the student’s enrollment certification to the Department of Veterans Affairs to reflect “unsatisfactory” attendance for all courses that apply to the program.

Withdrawals From Class by Veterans

Students receiving VA educational benefits may adjust their schedule during the Drop/Add period.  After the Drop/Add period, students will have to notify the school’s VA Certifying Official before they will be allowed to be withdrawn for any course(s).


Shelton State Community College offers competitive full or partial scholarships to qualified students who are residents of the state of Alabama. Scholarship information and applications are available on the Shelton State Website, www.sheltonstate.edu. For specific scholarship requirements and deadlines, refer to the specific scholarship information.


Academic scholarships are available for first time, new, or current Shelton State students. Selections are based on a minimum grade point average of 3.0 with additional consideration given to a student’s educational goals and a recommendation from the community. An ACT or SAT score is required of high school students applying for academic scholarships.


Technical scholarships are available to new or returning SSCC students based on availability, academic record, performance, and recommendation of the instructor. Technical scholarships support students whose educational goals include the completion of one of the College’s career technical programs of study.

Fine Arts

Fine Arts scholarships are available to students in art, dance, music, speech/forensics, and theatre. Awards are based upon availability, competition, demonstrated talent, academic record, the student’s educational goals, and a recommendation from the community. Awards are conditional upon the student’s active engagement in the Art, Dance, Music, Speech/Forensics, or Theatre Department. Art students must submit a portfolio; dance, music, speech/forensics, and theatre students must perform in scheduled auditions at the College.


Athletic scholarships are awarded on the basis of tryouts and/or a demonstrated ability to compete on the intercollegiate level. The number of scholarships awarded in each sport, along with eligibility requirements, is established by the NJCAA. Scholarships are awarded in baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, women’s fast-pitch softball, and manager positions.


Cheerleading scholarships are available for a co-ed, competition squad and may be granted to new or current SSCC students.  Members are chosen at tryouts which are held each spring.

Other Scholarships


Ambassador scholarships are awarded on the basis of leadership potential, community service, and commitment to Shelton State. Members are full-time students, attend scheduled meetings, and perform scheduled service hours during each semester.  Students are selected for the academic year and must reapply for renewal for a second year. Criteria for selection include leadership and service experience, academic performance, and personal qualities demonstrated through an interview.


Leadership in Child Care scholarships are available to Alabama residents employed in a legally operating facility caring for pre-school or school-age children. The student must be seeking a Child Development Associate (CDA) credential, certificate, or associate degree. Information and applications for these scholarships are available in the Office of Financial Aid.

Children of Blind Parents

Children of certain blind parents may be eligible for scholarships at Shelton State. Eligibility for each applicant is determined by the Chancellor of the Alabama College System. Further information may be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid.

Senior Scholarship Program

The State of Alabama provides a scholarship program that allows senior adults to register for any of the credit courses offered through the College. Individuals must be at least 60 years of age at the time of enrollment, take each course only one time, be registered for a course only after the class has met minimum enrollment requirements as defined by the College, provide proof of high school graduation or the equivalent, have met the prerequisites for the course, and pay all applicable fees. For additional information, contact the Counseling Center, 205.391.2232.

Shelton State Community College Foundation

The Shelton State Community College Foundation, a separate entity from the College, provides scholarships based on students’ academic standing, community involvement, special criteria, and/or financial need for students enrolled in instructional programs at the College. Information and applications are provided in the Shelton State Community College Foundation Office, the Shelton State Counseling Center, on the Shelton State Web site, www.sheltonstate.edu, and in the office of area high school counselors. For additional information contact the Office of the Shelton State

Community College Foundation, 205.391.2298.

Shelton Summer Studies (S3)

Shelton Summer Studies (S3) Scholarships may be granted for the summer following a student’s graduation from high school with a Standard or Advanced High School diploma. An excellent way to jump-start a college career, students may choose to continue their education at Shelton. Additionally, with adequate planning and course selection, general academic courses should transfer to any college or university.