Feb 26, 2021  
2011-2012 College Catalog 
2011-2012 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Information



Tuition for residents of the State of Alabama
Resident or in-state tuition is $111.00 per credit hour.

Tuition for Non-Residents of the State of Alabama
Non-resident or out-of-state tuition is $203.00 per credit hour.

Tuition and Fee Schedule

(Tuition and Fees are subject to change)

Credit Hours Resident Tuition Nonresident Tuition Bond Surety Fee Maintenance Fee Technology Fee Resident Total Nonres. Total

1 $ 92 $184 $ 1 $ 9 $ 9 $111 $203
2 $184 $368 $ 2 $18 $18 $222 $406
3 $276 $552 $ 3 $27 $27 $333 $609
4 $368 $736 $ 4 $36 $36 $444 $812
5 $460 $920 $ 5 $45 $45 $555 $1015
6 $552 $1104 $ 6 $54 $54 $666 $1218
7 $664 $1288 $ 7 $63 $63 $777 $1421
8 $736 $1472 $ 8 $72 $72 $888 $1624
9 $828 $1656 $ 9 $81 $81 $999 $1827
10 $920 $1840 $ 10 $90 $90 $1110 $2030
11 $1012 $2024 $ 11 $99 $99 $1221 $2233
12 $1104 $2208 $ 12 $108 $108 $1332 $2436
13 $1196 $2392 $ 13 $117 $117 $1443 $2639
14 $1288 $2576 $ 14 $126 $126 $1554 $2842
15 $1380 $2760 $ 15 $135 $135 $1665 $3045

There will be an additional fee for student accident insurance and parking hang tag for all students.

ALL STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO PAY TUITION AND FEES ON OR PRIOR TO THE PAYMENT DUE DATES LISTED IN THE SCHEDULE OF CLASSES. If the tuition and fees are not received by the appropriate due date published, the student’s schedule may be removed. If a student’s schedule is removed for non-payment, the student must re-register for classes.

Shelton State Community College does not accept partial payment. This includes students receiving any type of financial assistance. Balances must be paid before the grant/waiver/ scholarship can be applied to the student account (example: a student receiving a tuition waiver would be required to pay the technology and maintenance, parking, and insurance fees before the waiver is applied). Sponsored students include those students whose expenses are paid by agencies such as Vocational Rehabilitation Services, Alabama G.I. and Dependents Educational Benefits Act, post 9/11 G.I. Bill (excluding veterans who receive benefits only from Federal Veterans Administration), and eligible Pell Grant recipients. Students who intend to pay their tuition using Prepaid Affordable College Tuition Program (PACT) or any third party entity are responsible for paying the fees that are not covered. Students paying by VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express are responsible for verifying that payment has been received by the Cashier’s Office. Online credit card payments are accepted. FEES MUST BE PAID IN FULL BEFORE REGISTRATION IS CONSIDERED COMPLETE.

Residency Policy

For the purpose of assessing tuition, applicants for admission will be classified in one of two categories as outlined below:

  1. Resident Student
    A Resident Student will be charged the in-state tuition rate established by the Alabama State Board of Education.
    1. A Resident Student is an applicant for admission who meets all legal requirements or is a duly registered resident in the State of Alabama for at least 12 months immediately preceding application for admission, or whose non-estranged spouse has resided and had habitation, home, and permanent abode in the State of Alabama for at least 12 months immediately preceding application for admission. Consequently, an out-of-state student cannot attain Resident Student status simply by attending school for twelve months in the State of Alabama.
    2. In the case of minor dependents seeking admission, the parents, parent, or legal guardian of such minor dependent must have resided in the State of Alabama for at least 12 months preceding application for admission. If the parents are divorced, residence will be determined by the residency of the parent to whom the court has granted custody.

      Minor: An individual who, because of age, lacks the capacity to contract under Alabama law. Under current law, this means a single individual under 19 years of age and a married individual under 18 years of age, but excludes an individual whose disabilities of non-age have been removed by a court of competent jurisdiction for a reason other than establishing a legal residence in Alabama. If current law changes, this definition shall change accordingly. Supporting Person: Either or both of the parents of the student, parents who are living together, or if the parents are divorced or living separately, then either the parent having legal custody or, if different, the parent providing the greater amount of financial support. If both parents are deceased or if neither has legal custody, Supporting Person will mean, in the following order: the legal custodian of the student, the guardian, and the conservator.
    3. In determining Resident Student status for the purpose of charging tuition, the burden of proof lies with the applicant for admission.
      1. Students having graduated from an Alabama high school or having obtained a GED in the State of Alabama within three years of the date of application for admission shall be considered Residential Students for tuition purposes.
      2. An individual claiming to be a resident will certify by a signed statement each of the following:
        1. a specific address or location within the State of Alabama as his or her residence.
        2. an intention to remain at this address indefinitely.
        3. possession of more substantial connections with the State of Alabama than with any other state.
      3. Though certifications of an address and an intent to remain in the state indefinitely will be prerequisites to establishing status as a resident, ultimate determination of that status will be made by the institution by evaluating the presence or absence of connection with the State of Alabama. This evaluation will include the consideration of the following connections:
        1. consideration of the location of high school graduation.
        2. payment of Alabama state income taxes as a resident.
        3. ownership of a residence or other real property in the state and payment of state ad valorem taxes on the residence or property.
        4. full-time employment in the state.
        5. residence in the state of a spouse, parents, or children.
        6. previous periods of residency in the state continuing for one year or more.
        7. voter registration and voting in the state; more significantly, continuing voter registration in the state that initially occurred at least one year prior to the initial registration of the student in Alabama at a public institution of higher education.
        8. possession of state or local licenses to do business or practice a profession in the state.
        9. ownership of personal property in the state, payment of state taxes on the property, and possession of state license plates.
        10. continuous physical presence in the state for a purpose other than attending school, except for temporary absences for travel, military service, and temporary employment.
        11. membership in religious, professional, business, civic, or social organizations in the state.
        12. maintenance in the state of checking and savings accounts, safe deposit boxes, or investment accounts.
        13. in-state address shown on selective service registration, drivers’ license, automobile title registration, hunting and fishing licenses, insurance policies, stock and bond registrations, last will and testament, annuities, or retirement plans.
    4. Students determined to be eligible for resident tuition will maintain that eligibility upon re-enrollment within one full academic year of their most recent previous enrollment unless there is evidence that the student subsequently has abandoned resident status; for example, registering to vote in another state. Students failing to re-enroll within one full academic year must establish eligibility upon re-enrollment.
  2. Non-Resident Student (additional persons for resident tuition)
    A Non-Resident Student, one who does not meet the standard of having resided in the State of Alabama for at least 12 months immediately preceding application for admission, will be charged the in-state tuition rate established by the State Board of Education under the following circumstances, provided such student is a citizen of the United States.
    1. The dependent student is one:
      1. whose supporting person is a full-time permanent employee of the institution at which the student is registering; or
      2. whose supporting person can verify full-time permanent employment in Alabama and will commence said employment within 90 days of registration; or
      3. whose supporting person is a member of the United States military on full-time active duty stationed in Alabama under order for duties other than attending school; or
      4. whose supporting person is an accredited member of a consular staff assigned
        to duties in Alabama.
    2. The student is not a dependent (as defined by Internal Revenue Codes) who:
      1. is a full-time permanent employee of the institution at which the student is registering or is the spouse of such an employee; or
      2. can verify full-time permanent employment within the State of Alabama or is the spouse of such an employee and will commence said employment within 90 days of registration with the institution; or
      3. is a member of or the spouse of a member of the United State military on full-time active duty stationed in Alabama under orders for duties other than attending school; or
      4. is an accredited member of, or the spouse of, an accredited member of a consular staff assigned to duties in Alabama.
    3. In determining Non-Resident Student status for the purpose of charging tuition, the burden of proof lies with the applicant for admission. The College may request proof that the applicant meets the stipulations noted above prior to admission.
    4. The student is eligible for in-state tuition if the student resides in Lowndes and Noxubee counties in Mississippi.

Out-of-State Student
Any applicant for admission who does not fall into Section B (Non-Resident Student) above shall be charged a minimum tuition of two times the resident tuition rate charged by that institution. Students initially classified as ineligible for resident tuition will retain that classification for tuition purposes until they provide documentation that they have qualified for resident tuition.

Other Fees

  1. A late registration fee of $25.00 is charged if registration is not completed on or before the designated date of registration.
  2. A $25.00 diploma fee for graduates who order a diploma.
  3. A vehicle registration fee of $10.00 is required each year.
  4. All students are required to purchase a student accident insurance policy each semester. The charge is $7.50 for fall and spring semesters and $5.00 for the summer semester. These rates are subject to change.
  5. Cash, checks, money orders, cashier’s check, Discover, Visa, and MasterCard will be accepted as payment of all fees and charges, subject to final payment. If a student’s check is returned unpaid, payment must be cleared promptly by another form of payment other than personal check. A restriction will be placed on the student account until returned item and fees are paid in full. The returned check service fee charge will be based on the current rate set by the District Attorney’s Office.
  6. An administrative fee not to exceed five percent (5%) of tuition and other institutional charges, or $100, whichever is smaller, will be assessed for each withdrawal within the period beginning the first day of class and ending at the end of the third week of class.
  7. Some courses may require additional fees.

NOTE: There is no difference in the cost of auditing a course and taking that course for credit.

Tuition/Fee Refund Policy

  1. Withdrawals
    The Shelton State tuition refund policy is based on the College calendar. The calculation of the refund begins with the first day of class as listed on the College calendar for that particular term. In order to receive 100% refund for complete withdrawal from school, students must withdraw BEFORE THE FIRST SCHEDULED DAY LISTED ON THE COLLEGE CALENDAR FOR THAT TERM. The first day of class is the first official instructional day of all classes as stated in the institution’s published calendar. There is only one first day. All terms within the semester, full term, first split term, and second split term, are treated independently for refund purposes. Once the drop/add period has ended for the respective term, partial  refunds will only be granted for a complete withdrawal for the respective term.
    1. Full Term Enrollment
      A student who withdraws from the College may claim a partial refund under certain conditions:
      1. students who completely withdraw before the beginning of the term receive a 100% refund
      2. students who completely withdraw within the first five instructional days receive a 75% refund.
      3. students who completely withdraw during the sixth through tenth instructional days receive a 50% refund.
      4. students who completely withdraw during the eleventh through fifteenth instructional days receive a 25% refund.
      5. students who completely withdraw after the 15th instructional day will receive NO REFUND.
    2. Split Term Enrollment
      A student who withdraws from the College may claim a partial refund under certain conditions:
      1. students who completely withdraw before the beginning of the term receive a 100% refund.
      2. students who completely withdraw within the first three instructional days receive a 75% refund.
      3. students who completely withdraw during the fourth through sixth instructional days receive a 50 percent refund.
      4. students who completely withdraw during the seventh through ninth instructional days receive a 25 percent refund.
      5. students who completely withdraw after the tenth instructional day will receive NO REFUND.

Only the following tuition/fees can be refunded: Tuition, Maintenance Fees, and Technology Fees. Other miscellaneous fees will not be refunded. A list of refund dates and refund percentages is printed each semester in The Schedule of Classes.

  1. Drop/Add

The Drop/AddPeriod is a three-to five-day period after the official designated registration days for full term classes during the fall and spring semesters.The Drop/ Add Period is two days for the summer semester and for split term classes.Students who drop a course(orcourses) and have other courses remaining for that term on their schedules may receive 100 percent refund if the course is dropped during the designated Drop/Add for that specific term.AFTER THE DROP/ADD PERIOD, NOREFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN TOS TUDENTS WHO DROP A COURSE (OR COURSES) AND HAVE OTHER COURSES REMAINING FOR THE SAME SEMESTER ON THEIR SCHEDULES;THUS, REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED FOR COMPLETE WITHDRAWAL ONLY.

    C.    Short Course Refunds (Continuing Education, Community Education)

    D.    SHELTON STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE DOES NOT GIVE CASH REFUNDS. Refund Checks are mailed from the Office of Business Services

 Financial Aid

In order for Shelton State Community College to properly process each financial aid application, deadlines are required. Please contact the financial aid office or visit the College Web site, www.sheltonstate.edu, for specific information and deadlines. Shelton State Community College offers financial assistance to eligible students to help pay the cost of their education. Financial aid is designed to supplement the family’s ability to finance the student’s educational expenses. Shelton State is approved for Federal Financial Aid, Veterans Benefits, Vocational Rehabilitation Training, and Alabama Prepaid Affordable College Tuition (PACT). The institution also awards state and private scholarships.

Title IV Federal Financial Aid Programs which are available include Federal Pell Grant, Federal Work-Study (FWS), Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), and the Academic Competitive Grant (ACG). Shelton State is also approved to participate in the Alabama Student Assistant Program (ASAP). Shelton State Community College currently does not participate in any of the federal loan programs. Shelton State, however, is approved for deferment of previous loans.

Applying For Financial Aid

Students who apply for financial aid must:

  1. Apply for admission and have on file a copy of the high school transcript, GED scores or certificates, academic transcripts from other colleges previously attended, or documentation of successfully passing a recognized Ability to Benefit test. Transient students and students taking additional courses are not eligible to receive financial aid at SSCC.
  2. Be a U.S. Citizen or an eligible non-citizen. All eligible non-citizens must provide documentation to verify their eligibility status.
  3. Be a regular student working towards a degree or certificate in an eligible program at SSCC. A regular student is someone who is enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible institution for the purpose of obtaining a degree or certificate offered by the College.
  4. Must meet the standards of academic progress (qualitative and quantitative).
  5. Male students, 18-25 years of age, must be registered with the Selective Service. Register through the internet at www.sss.gov.

Qualifying For Federal Financial Aid

Students who apply for Federal Financial Assistance:

  1. Must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This should be done as soon as students or parents of dependent students complete their federal income tax return each year.
  2. May apply with a paper FAFSA or on the Internet at www.fafsa.ed.gov. PIN numbers can be requested at www.pin.ed.gov. Shelton State’s Title IV code is 005691, and the Web site is www.sheltonstate.edu.
  3. A student must submit signed copies of certain financial documents for the student and/or spouse and parent(s). Contact the Financial Aid Office to find out which documents are required. Approximately one-third of all financial aid applications are selected by the federal government in a process called verification.
  4. Must have financial need. Financial need is determined by subtracting the expected family contribution from the cost of education.
  5. Must have a high school diploma, a GED, or have passed an independently administered Ability to Benefit test approved by the U.S. Department of Education (CPAT).
  6. Must be enrolled as a student in an eligible program and making satisfactory academic progress.
    *Technical Classes/Certificates require a clock hour conversion to receive Title IV funds. Financial Aid will be paid on the lowest hours. Questions should be directed to the Financial Aid Office at 205.391.2218.
  7. Must not be in default on any previous student loan.
  8. Before financial aid is awarded, official transcripts must be on file.
    * If a student is enrolled in a technical/certificate program that does not offer a degree, credit hours will be adjusted based on a federally mandated credit/clock hour conversion formula.

Once the financial aid award has been established, the student may then reigister for classes. Once notification is recieved, the student must rquest the charges up to the total amount of the financial award (excluding work-study awards) be applied to his/her acccount.  Such charges include tuition, fees, books, and supplies purchased in the College’s bookstore.

 Any remaining balance from the financial aid award for the current semester will be issued by check to the address on file in the Office of Admissions and Records. Students who completely withdraw from school prior to the disbursement of funds will have their financial aid adjusted based on their withdrawal date. Any funds remaining will be returned to the financial aid program.


1.  Program Completion

The maximum time frame allowed to complete a program of study without financial aid penalty cannot exceed 1.5 times the published length of a specific program.For example,a student in General Studies, which is 64 semester hours in length,may attempt a maximum of 96 hours.The life time limit for Pell Grant funding is 18 full-time semesters.  

2.  Required Credit Hours

The student must successfully complete at least 67% of all classes attempted.For example,if a student attempts 24 credit hours,he/she must successfully complete at least 16 semester hours.The percentage of hours completed will not be monitored until the student has attempted 21 hours or has reached the

mid-point of their program of study,whichever is less. NOTICE: all hours attempted(including those from which the student withdrew,received incompletes, transferred in credit,and/or were funded by sources other than federal aid)will be included in this calculation. 

3.   Required Grade Point Average (GPA) 

A student enrolled in a degree program (AA, AS, or AAS) must achieve the following: 1.75 GPA and/or 67% completion rate after attempting 22-32 credit hours 2.00 GPA and/or 67% completion rate after attempting 33 or more credit hours 

Students enrolled in certificate programs must achieve the following:

1.50 GPA and/or 67% completion rate after attempting 12-17 credit hours

2.00 GPA and/or 67% completion rate after attempting 18 or more credit hours  

4.   Financial Aid Warning

If a student fails to achieve the required cumulative GPA or does not successfully complete the required percentage of hours, the student will be placed on financial aid warning. Students on warning will be allowed to receive aid and will be notified of their warning status by email. Also, those students who are accepted for admission to the College under Academic Probation will be placed on financial aid warning. The warning will be lifted in a subsequent term if the student attains the required cumulative GPA and/or successfully completes the required percentage of hours. If the student successfully completes their first warning semester they will be allowed to continue until they do not successfully complete a semester or they regain overall eligibility. Successful completion of a semester is defined as a TERM 2.0 GPA with no withdrawals.

5.   Financial Aid Probation

If a student fails to complete a program within the maximum time frame allowed or does not attain satisfactory academic progress by the end of the financial aid warning, the student will be placed on financial aid probation. The student may have probation lifted and thereby regain eligibility for financial aid during subsequent terms if the student makes satisfactory academic progress or if he/she receives approval for the Plan for Resolution and Appeal submitted to the Financial Aid Office.

6.   Financial Aid Suspension

If the student falls to follow the Plan of Resolution the student will be suspended from federal financial aid. If placed on academic suspension, a student is NOT eligible to receive financial aid for the duration of suspension, even if the student is readmitted to the College upon academic appeal. The student may gain eligibility for financial aid when satisfactory academic progress is obtained.

7.   Appeal Process

The student may file an appeal by submitting a Financial Aid Appeal and Plan for Resolution Form to the Financial Aid Office.  The student must make an appointment to meet with a member of the financial aid staff to complete the Plan for Resolution and discuss the circumstances of their current financial aid situation. These forms are online at www.sheltonstate.edu. Only ONE APPEAL will be allowed. Decisions of the Appeal Committee are final.

8.  Monitoring Progress

Academic progress will be monitored at the end of each semester, even at the end of a semester during which financial aid has not been received.

9.   Repeating Courses

A student receiving a Federal Pell Grant may repeat courses; however, all hours will be included in the satisfactory academic progress calculations.

10. Remedial Courses

A student may receive financial aid for up to 30 attempted remedial credit hours. If this number is exceeded, financial aid cannot cover any additional remedial classes. If the student enrolls in the same remedial course more than three times, financial aid will not apply for any subsequent enrollment(s) in this course.

11. Audit Courses

Audited courses are not considered credits attempted or earned, and students cannot receive financial aid for these courses.

12. Clearing GPA or Credit Hour Deficiencies/Reinstatement

A student may have financial aid reinstated if he/she attends college, at his/her

own expense, and grades are in compliance with established minimum standards of satisfactory academic progress. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of Financial Aid when his/her grades are in compliance with the policy. Financial aid will not retroactively pay for any periods of enrollment during which the student was not eligible.

 Cumulative Credit Hours Completed

Cumulative Credit hours completed are defined as grades A, B, C, or D. Credit hours not successfully completed are defined as F, W, I, or U.

NOTE: Refer to Academic Information, Grading System.

 Cumulative Credit Hours Attempted

Cumulative credit hours attempted are defined as all credit hours attempted at SSCC and all credit hours transferred and accepted from another institution. Repeated courses passed, failed, or withdrawn will be counted as credit hours attempted.

13. Program of Study

Students who receive financial assistance must be accepted for enrollment as regular student in a program of study leading to a degree or a certificate. A regular student is someone who is enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible institution for the purpose of obtaining a degree or certificate offered by the College.

14. Official and Unofficial Withdrawals and Interruptions

A student who totally withdraws from the College two or more times may be placed on financial aid suspension for failure to meet the quantitative standards of progress (refer to quantitative standards of progress) and may owe an  unearned portion of the schedule award.

 A student who withdraws during a payment period or period of enrollment before disbursement is made; may have the award adjusted based on assistance earned up to the point of withdrawal. Once the student has completed more than 60 percent of the payment period or period of enrollment, the student will earn all of the assistance. If the student receives more assistance than earned, the excess funds must be returned.

Official Withdrawal

A student’s official withdrawal date is defined as the date the student officially withdraws from all classes for that semester.

Unofficial Withdrawal

A student is considered to have unofficially withdrawn for financial aid purposes only when:

1.  the student does not complete the official withdrawal process; and

2.  the student earns failing grades (F or U) in all courses for which he/she is registered.

If the last day of attendance is not defined on any records, the student’s unofficial withdrawal date will be defined as the midpoint (50%) of the semester and the student will, in accordance with the Return to Title IV calculation, owe monies back to the Title IV funds. The time frame for midpoint will differ for students enrolled in split term sessions ONLY.

Financial Aid Official and Unofficial Withdrawal Policy

A student who receives federal financial aid (Title IV funds) may have his/her financial aid adjusted based on his/her date of official or unofficial complete withdrawal. Title IV aid consists of Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Grants, and the Academic Competitive Grant. A complete withdrawal is defined as withdrawing or discontinuing attendance from all classes for a given semester.

Consequences for Complete Withdrawal and Financial Aid Repayment

A student who officially or unofficially completely withdraws earns financial

aid based on the number of calendar days he/she attended. Earned financial aid is calculated from the beginning of the semester to the official or unofficial withdrawal date. If the applicant has attended 60% of the semester, the applicant is considered to have earned the aid received.

15.Developmental and Repeated Courses

A Title IV Federal Aid recipient who is enrolled in a developmental course may not enroll in the same course more than three times and continue

to receive financial assistance for the course. A Title IV Federal Financial Aid recipient may not be paid for more than 30 credit hours of developmental course work. If a student repeats a course which was previously successfully completed with a grade of “S” or a grade of “D” or above, the credit hours obtained the second

time the course is attempted counts toward the minimum number of credit hours required for the program completion and the hours do not count towards the calculation for the semester/term load.

NOTE: Contact the Office of Financial Aid for any exceptions.

16.Right of Appeal

Decisions regarding student eligibility for financial aid are subject to appeal to the Student Finance Appeal Team (SFAT). Appeals of eligibility decisions may be made regarding the income basis for determining eligibility, determination of dependent or independent status, compliance with Standards of Academic Progress, and right to a refund of tuition and fees.

A student who wishes to appeal a decision regarding eligibility should

1. complete the Financial Aid Appeals Form and Academic Plan and provide written documentation of mitigating or extenuating circumstances, and

2. submit the appeal form along with the documentation to the Student FinanceAppeals Team (SFAT).

The Student Finance Appeals Team will act on a timely basis to decide the appeal and to notify the applicant in writing of the results of the appeal. The decision of the SFAT is final. ONLY ONE APPEAL IS ALLOWED.

17. Disbursement of Financial Aid Funds

It is College policy that students are expected to attend all classes for which they are registered and attendance is calculated from the first official class day. Students who receive financial aid and are reported as “non-attending” must contact the Office of Financial Aid. Attendance issues may cause a student’s award to be adjusted. Disbursement checks are mailed approximately 14 days after the last day of the Drop/Add and Late Registration Period, pending receipt of federal funds. Books and supplies can be charged against Pell Grant after payment has been credited to the student’s account for tuition and fees. Registration is not complete until tuition and fees have been paid.

Title IV Pell Grant will be awarded based on the student’s Expected FamilyContribution (EFC) number and hours attending.        

  12 or more credit hours Full-time  
  9 to 11 Three-forths time  
  6 to 8 Half-time  
  5 and under Less than half-time  


18. How changing Program of Study affects financial aid eligibility?

Changing your Program of Study may cause you to take additional courses that could cause problems finishing your degree or certificate within the 150% of the standard length of your academic or certificate Program. Also, when students change their program of study from degree seeking to certificate seeking, the previous classes the student attempted will be counted in the determination of your financial aid eligibility. For example, a certificate Program that requires 27 credits

for completion must be completed within 41 attempted credit hours.

19. What can affect financial aid eligibility?

Students who are not achieving academic progress (SAP) as measured by the office of financial aid usually have experienced one or a combination of several of the following:

•     receiving failing grades,

•     repeating courses,

•     officially or unofficially withdrawing from courses or from the college,

•     taking courses not applicable to the declared Program of Study, (please note the office of financial aid will not included courses not required for a student’s eclared program of study to determine the student’s  enrollment status as full, three quarter,or half time).

20. Return to Title IV Funds (R2T4)

The federal government has established a Return to Title IV funds (R2T4) Policy

CFR Section 668.22. Federal Grant recipients who completely withdraw from the institution prior to completing 60 percent of the enrollment period are subject to the R2T4 policy and may owe a repayment. The R2T4 calculation will be performed in accordance with federal regulations. For a student who unofficially withdraws and the last date of attendance cannot be determined, the R2T4 calculation will be based on the mid-point of the semester and the recipient may owe a repayment to the Title IV programs. The Title IV programs consist of Federal

Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Grant (FSEOG), and the Academic

Competitive Grant (ACG).

Procedure for Repaying the U.S. Government

According to regulations, the Office of Business Services performs the Return to Title IV calculations. When it is determined that the student owes a repayment of grants to the U.S. Government, the student will be sent a letter of notification of this debt and will be ineligible to receive any future Title IV aid until this matter

is resolved. If the student owes a balance to the College, the student must pay the balance prior to registering for future semesters or requesting a transcript be sent to another college.

 The student must contact the Cashier’s Office within 45 days of receiving the written notification on any repayment obligation. If the student does not contact the Cashier’s Office with payment, the College will send the student’s information to the U. S. Government for collection and the student will remain ineligible for federal and state aid until the College receives notice that the student has re-established his/her eligibility. The student must present to the College a Title IV

letter of eligibility from the Department of Education.

It is the intent of the Office of Financial Aid to inform Federal Grant recipients who completely withdraw from all courses in a given semester to seriously consider the implications of this R2T4 policy. Students who are having difficulty in their classes should seek assistance through their instructors, the Counseling Center, and the Learning Center.

21. Definitions

Federal Grant Recipient

A student who receives one or more of the following: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Work/Study funds.

Complete Withdrawal

The withdrawal date is the date the student submits a completed Schedule Change form to withdraw from all classes to the Office of Admissions and Records or the appropriate instructional site. In those cases in which a student unofficially withdraws (stops attending without completing the withdrawal process), the withdrawal date is the mid-point (50 percent) of the term if a withdrawal date cannot be determined.

Sixty Percent of Enrollment Period

The sixty-percent enrollment period is published each semester in the printed semester schedule of classes. Students who withdraw from school before these dates will owe a repayment and will have accumulated attempted course hours. The sixty percent date is the date in which 60 percent of the class meetings have been held. RepaymentA repayment is what a student must return to the U.S. Department of Education. The amount of repayment will be based upon a formula, prescribed by law, that considers the date of withdrawal and the amount of federal aid (excluding work- study) received. Any student who fails to repay the U.S. Department of Education will not be eligible to receive federal aid at Shelton State Community College or any other institution.   

22. Student Rights

Students have the right to ask Shelton State Community College:

•     the name of its accrediting and licensing organizations;

•      about its programs, its institutional laboratories and other physical facilities, and its faculty;

•     about the cost of attending and its policy on refunds to students who withdraw;

•     what financial assistance is available, including information on all federal, state, local, private, and institutional financial aid programs;

•     what are the procedures and deadlines for submitting applications for each financial aid program;

•     what criteria are used to select financial aid recipients;

•     how financial need is determined;

•     how and when students on financial aid will receive a disbursement;

•     how the school determines whether a student is making satisfactory progress and what happens if the student is not; and

•     what special facilities and services are available to persons with disabilities.

It is the student’s responsibility to:

•     review all information about the College’s programs before enrolling;

•     pay special attention to the Application for Student Financial Aid, complete it accurately, and submit it on time to the proper office;

•     know and comply with all deadlines for applying and reapplying for financial aid;

•     provide all additional documentation, verification, corrections, and/or new information requested by the Office of Financial Aid or the agency to which application was made;

•     read, understand, and keep copies of all forms the student is asked to sign;

•     repay any student loan obligations and/or request deferment  information from the lending agency;

      notify the Office of Admissions and Records of any change in the student’s name, address, course major, or attendance status;

•     understand the refund policy;

•     appeal any decision made concerning financial aid status;

•     call the Office of Financial Aid and request that the SAR be pulled down electronically or bring in his/her copy; notify the Office of Financial Aid of a change of program and request a transfer evaluation. (If no credits can be transferred into the new program, the student will be advised accordingly.)


To receive the amount of Federal Pell Grant as indicated on the financial aid award letter, a student must be enrolled for a full-time course load which is a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester. A student who enrolls for less than 12 credit hours will have his/her

Pell Grant award adjusted according to registration status. A student enrolled in nine to 11 credit hours is considered three-quarter time, six to eight credit hours half-time, and one to five credit hours less than half-time. If a student receives Title IV funds and is registered for technical classes that require clock hour conversion, the Title IV Pell awards will be based on financial aid hours rather than academic hours. Students who have questions regarding the enrollment status or adjusted credit hours should call the Office of Financial Aid, 205.391.2218.


A.  Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is a designed to assist eligible applicants with educational expenses. The Federal Pell Grant does not have to be repaid unless the Return to Title IV applies. Pell Grant provides a foundation of financial aid to which other federal and non-federal sources of aid may be added. The amount of a Federal Pell Grant is dependent upon a family’s financial circumstances. Students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for a Federal Pell Grant. A Federal Pell Grant is awarded for an academic year (two semesters). The financial aid year begins with the fall semester and ends with the summer semester. Beginning in the 2009-2010 award year, eligible Pell Grant recipients can receive up to 200 percent of the scheduled award. This means that a student can receive two consecutive scheduled Pell Grant awards during a single award year. To qualify, students must be enrolled at least half time for more than one academic year during a single award year and must be in an associate or a certificate program. Applicants who are first-time Pell Grant recipients on or after July 1, 2009, can receive awards for a maximum of 18 semesters or the equivalent. Only the percentage of time that a student is enrolled will count toward this limit. Once classes begin, students must attend class starting the first day, or Pell Grant may be adjusted for non-attendance. For more information about Federal Pell Grants, contact the Office of Financial Aid, 205.391.2218.

 B.  Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is designed to assist students with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to Federal Pell Grant recipients who apply early (prior to May 30 for the coming fall semester) and have a “0” eligibility number (EFC). Students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid  (FAFSA) to apply for Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). For more information about Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, contact the Office of Financial Aid, 205.391.2218. 

C. Academic Competitive Grant (ACG)

The Academic Competitive Grant is awarded to eligible students who qualify for Pell Grant and have completed a rigorous secondary school program of study. The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, a federal Pell Grant recipient, enrolled at least half-time in a degree or certificate program, and enrolled in the first or second year of their program of study to be eligible for each academic year. The ACG award is $750 for the first academic year and $1,300 for the second academic year.

D.    D. Alabama Student Assistance Program (ASAP) The Alabama Student Assistance Program is designed to assist exceptionally needy students. It consists of Federal State Student Incentive Grant funds and funds appropriated by the Alabama Legislature. ASAP

funds are gift aid which does not have to be repaid. Students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply. Priority is given to those who receive a Federal Pell Grant and who apply early. For more information concerning the Alabama Student Assistance Program contact the Office of Financial Aid, 205.391.2218.

E.   Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study is part-time employment on and off campus. It allows students to earn a portion of the money which is needed to finance their education. This program exists to assist in paying the difference between the cost of education and the

amount that the student and the parents can afford to pay. Federal Work-Study provides a meaningful job experience while allowing the student the opportunity to earn a portion of his or her educational cost. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and a Shelton State Community College Application for Federal Work-Study. For additional information, contact the Office of Financial Aid,



A.   Alabama National Guard

1.     Educational Assistance Program (ANGEAP)

The Alabama National Guard Educational Assistance Program is designed to provide financial assistance to Alabama National Guard members. Limited funding is provided by the Alabama Legislature and priority is given to those who apply early. Applications for the Alabama National Guard Educational Assistance

Program are available from the member’s Alabama National Guard Unit. For more information concerning the ANGEAP, members should contact the National Guard benefits administrator at the member’s unit.

 2.     Tuition Assistance Program

Tuition Assistance is provided in accordance with current VA policy. Semester hour caps are set at six hours per semester not to exceed 15 hours per year. The State Education Services Officer MUST approve all requests for Tuition Assistance PRIOR to the start of the class For more information concerning the TA program, eligible members should Contact the Army National Guard benefits administrat

or at the member’s unit.

 B. Alabama GI Dependents State Scholarship Program

Alabama GI Dependent Scholarship Program provides for a child whose parent was killed or died in the line of duty, is listed as missing in action, died from a service connected disability, is deceased but had a 20 percent to 100 percent service connected disability, is living and has a 20 percent to 100 percent service connected disability, or is or was a prisoner of war. The scholarship may pay tuition, one fee, and required books. The scholarship will not pay for tools, supplies, and developmental courses and books. To apply, contact the Alabama State Department of Veterans Affairs, P.O. Box 1509, Montgomery, AL 36102-1509 or any county veterans service officer of that Department whose office is located in the County Courthouse or building nearby.

Note: State Dependent Scholarship does not pay for developmental classes.

C.     Benefits for Veterans and Dependents of Veterans

Shelton State Community College does not participate in advance pay. Students must pay for books, tuition, and fees at the time of registration. Students should expect to receive Veterans Administration (VA) benefits 60 to 90 days after submission.

A veteran may be certified for only one semester if the student has prior credit that has not been received and evaluated. Recertification is contingent upon completion of admissions records and receiving transfer of credit information. If the enrollment

period is temporarily interrupted, the Office of Financial Aid will certify re-enrollment when the veteran notifies the office. Benefits may not be paid for courses previously passed unless a better grade is required in the degree objective, for courses in which a grade of Incomplete, “I,” was previously received, or for courses which are not a part of the declared educational program (unless approved as a substitute for a required course by the appropriate instructional officer.)


Information pertaining to the Alabama Veterans Program may be obtained by writing the State Department of Veteran Affairs, P. O. Box 1509, Montgomery, AL 36104.

Documentation of veteran’s information as required by the Veterans Administration and

Shelton State is as follows:

1.  Copy of DD-214 or Certificate of Eligibility - Doc. #2384;

2.  Transcripts from all institutions previously attended. TRANSCRIPTS ARE NOT ACCEPTED FROM STUDENTS - ONLY DIRECTLY FROM INSTITUTIONS; and

3.  File number.

To apply for veterans benefits the student must complete the following procedure:

 1.  Apply for admission to the College and complete his/her admission file.

         2. Complete an application for VA benefits and attach a copy of DD-214 or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) - National Guard Reserve. If a student has used VA benefits at a previously attended institution, students must complete a “Request for Change of Program or Place of Training” form (Form 22- 1995).

         3. Disabled Veterans (Chapter 31) must contact a VA counselor at 950 22nd Street, N., Suite 777, Birmingham, AL 35203. If eligible, the VA counselor will submit authorization to the College which will pay for tuition, fees, and required books and supplies.

         4. Dependent Students of 100 percent or totally Disabled Veterans (Chapter 35) must complete application form 22-5490. The Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Developmental, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Certification of Veterans

The following criteria will be used for certifying veterans or eligible persons:

  1.  Certification will be granted for only those courses which are applicable to the declared program of study (major). Any deviation must be approved in writing by a College official.

  2. Certification for more than the required number of hours will be granted only upon written approval from the Veterans Administration.

  3. Certification may be granted for basic institutional credit courses and developmental courses if such courses are necessary for the student to reach his or her objective.

  4. Certification will not be granted for audit or community education courses.

  5. Veterans must be recertified for educational benefits when they re-enter college after an interruption of an educational program.

  6.  The veteran who has received college credit at other institutions will be certified for only those courses necessary to complete the declared program of study at Shelton State

Community College.

7.     Payment for benefits will be based on the following schedule:

12 credit hours or more               Full-time payment

9 to 11 credit hours                      Three-fourths payment

6 to 8 credit hours                        One-half payment

5 or less credit hours                    Reimbursement for tuition and fees only


Class Attendance of Veterans

For the veteran, failure to attend class may result in a reduction or termination of benefits. Any irregularity in class attendance must be approved by the instructor and the appropriate VA officer as to whether absences are excused or unexcused. Should the veteran accumulate excessive unexcused absences, the reduction of benefits to the veteran will be made effective the last date of attendance in class.

Withdrawals from Class or Classes by Veterans

Veterans may adjust their schedule without penalty only during the Drop/Add Period.

A veteran who withdraws after this period without demonstrating extenuating circumstances could suffer loss of payment under VA educational assistance.


Shelton State Community College offers competitive full or partial scholarships to qualified students. Scholarship information and applications are available on the Shelton State Website, www.sheltonstate.edu. For specific scholarship requirements and deadlines, refer to the specific scholarship information.


Academic scholarships are available for first time, new, or current Shelton State

students. Selections are based on a minimum grade point average of 3.0 with additional consideration given to a student’s educational goals and a recommendation from the community. An ACT or SAT score is required of high school students applying for academic scholarships.


Technical scholarships are awarded to new or returning SSCC students based on availability, high school record, performance, and recommendation of the instructor. Technical scholarships support students whose educational goals include the completion of one of the College’s career technical programs of study.

Fine Arts

Fine Arts scholarships are awarded to students in Art, Dance, Music, Speech/Forensics, and Theatre. Awards are based upon availability, competition, demonstrated talent, academic record, the student’s educational goals, and a recommendation from the community. Awards are conditional upon the student’s active engagement in the Art, Dance, Music, Speech/Forensics, or Theatre Department. Art students must submit a portfolio; Dance, Music, Speech/Forensics, and Theatre students perform in scheduled auditions at the College.


Athletic scholarships are awarded on the basis of tryouts and/or a demonstrated ability to compete on the intercollegiate level. Scholarships cover tuition, fees, and books. The number of scholarships awarded in each sport, along with eligibility requirements, is established by the NJCAA. Scholarships are awarded in baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, and women’s fast-pitch softball.


Shelton State Community College has a co-ed cheer-leading squad which performs

at home basketball games and other school functions. Members are chosen at tryouts which are held each spring.

Other Scholarships


Ambassadors serve as the official hosts for College activities and events. Members are full-time students, attend scheduled meetings, and perform scheduled service hours during each semester. Ambassadors receive waivers of tuition and fees and hourly compensation. Students are selected for the academic year and must reapply for renewal for a second year. Criteria for selection include leadership and service experience, academic performance, and personal qualities demonstrated through an interview.


Leadership in Child Care scholarships are available to Alabama residents employed in a legally operating facility caring for pre-school or school-age children. The student must be seeking a Child Development Associate (CDA) credential, certificate, or associate

degree. Information and applications for these scholarships are available in the Office of

Financial Aid.

Children of Blind Parents

Children of certain blind parents may be eligible for scholarships at Shelton State. Eligibility for each applicant is determined by the Chancellor of the Alabama College System. Further information may be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid.

Senior Scholarship Program

The State of Alabama provides a scholarship program that allows senior adults to register for any of the credit courses offered through the College. Individuals must be at least 60 years of age at the time of enrollment, take each course only one time, be registered for a course only after the class has met minimum enrollment requirements as defined by the College, provide proof of high school graduation or the equivalent, have met the prerequisites for the course, and pay all applicable fees. For additional information, contact the Counseling Center, 205.391.2232.

Shelton State Community College Foundation

The Shelton State Community College Foundation, a separate entity from the College, provides scholarships based on students’ academic standing, community involvement, special criteria, and/or financial need for students enrolled in instructional programs

at the College. Information and applications are provided in the Shelton State Community College Foundation Office, the Shelton State Counseling Center, on the Shelton State Web site, www.sheltonstate.edu, and in the office of area high

school counselors. For additional information contact the Office of the Shelton State

Community College Foundation, 205.391.2298.

Shelton Summer Studies (S3)

Shelton Summer Studies (S3) Scholarships may be granted for the summer following a student’s graduation from high school with a Standard or Advanced High School diploma. An excellent way to jump-start a college career, students may choose to continue their education at Shelton. Additionally, with adequate planning and course selection, general academic courses should transfer to any college or university.